Sunday, October 7, 2012

"I Do" Inspiration: Lets Talk Dessert

I was recently talking to a friend about her other friend's upcoming wedding. The soon-to-be-bride was struggling with what to serve for dessert because she is not fond of cake. Her favorite dessert is frozen yogurt and she hoped to figure out a creative way to have a frozen yogurt bar. The conversation sparked a question in my mind: What are the guidelines for wedding desserts?

Now, I like to think of myself as a dessert lover. Okay, lets just put it this way, I am in the habit of eating my dessert before my meal just in case God takes me in the middle of my chicken. I am not playing around. I am a dessert lover. Therefore, speaking on behalf of all dessert lovers, I think I can say deciding what dessert to serve at a wedding is a struggle. The wedding mantra for this generation is "non-traditional" (a.k.a. let's do everything the way we want to do it!) and I am all for it. I value tradition, but I am also a lover of individuality and creativity. With cake a thing of the past lets go ahead and talk about the endless possibilities for DESSERT...

Exhibit A:
We have the traditional cake....



Exhibit B:
And then we got a little crazy and tried the cupcake...

Exhibit C: And then by the grace of God, some brilliant bride decided that she was going to have pie at her wedding. Then the heavens rejoiced and the fruit farmers received a paycheck that year.



However, people have become even more original with their dessert menus...

From Tiramisu towers

To a fan favorite mini...the cake pop

To a candy bar

And then on over to a wide selection of cookies
To delicious pastries such as scones, muffin, and donuts!


And let us not forget to acknowledge the crepe cake. Along with the donut cake and waffles. 
Oh and for those of you who do not enjoy sweets, there is popcorn.

Then, for the indecisive, there is the table of everything sweet...



And then quite frankly my favorite....

An ice cream bar.

And then I saw it...An ice cream truck...SAY WHAT? Yes, these people combined two trends...a food truck and a non-traditional dessert. And they just happened to be from my new home, Seattle, Washington, and used one of my favorite local ice cream shop trucks, Molly Moon's. I love their eclectic flavors and homemade taste. If you live in the Seattle area or happen to vacation there, Molly Moon's is a place to stop.




And that my friends is how you make a wedding, not only creative, but more personalized. The wedding is about bringing together friends and family to celebrate your union. So go ahead and share your story, through food, music, decor, and most importantly dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment